Are you self-conscious about the way you look in a bathing suit? When diet and exercise aren’t enough to get rid of stubborn fat deposits, liposuction could be the key to improving your silhouette.
When to Consider Liposuction
If one or more of the following statements apply to you, consider liposuction as a potential solution.
- I want to get rid of excess fat deposits in my thighs, hips and You’ve tried everything to trim down your thighs, slim your hips and tone your abs, but stubborn fatty bulges remain. Liposuction removes excess fat to leave you with a beautiful, natural contour.
- Some parts of my body seem out of proportion. Excess fat could be the reason you have love handles, but your arms and legs are slim. It could also be why you wear a size small shirt and size 12 pants. Reducing extra fat deposits in one area of your body can bring it into proportion with the rest of your figure.
- I am a man with excess fat tissue in my chest. Fatty deposits in a male’s chest can create the appearance of breasts, a condition called gynecomastia. Liposuction may be able to help with this.
- I am at or near my target body weight. Liposuction aims to reduce localized fat deposits. The most satisfied patients are typically already within 30 percent of their ideal weight when they seek this procedure.
In addition to meeting at least one of the above prerequisites, good candidates for liposuction are also nonsmokers who lack any life-threatening illness or medical condition that could impair the healing process.
When Liposuction Might Not be the Answer
It’s important to have realistic expectations about what liposuction can do. If one or both of the following statements apply to you, your plastic surgeon may suggest a different option.
- I have loose, sagging skin. Patients experience the best results with liposuction if they have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone beneath the fatty deposits. If you’re concerned about areas of skin that sag or fold over, a different procedure such as a tummy tuck or body lift may be more suitable.
- I’m looking to lose weight. It’s important to realize that liposuction isn’t a weight loss procedure. It can certainly improve your overall body contour, which can help you look thinner, but removing a few fat deposits won’t result in substantial weight loss.
Texas Center for Breast and Body offers two types of liposuction in Houston, traditional and SmartLipo. Schedule a consultation with our plastic surgeon, Dr. Mark Schusterman, to help you make the right choice for your body.
Disclaimer: *Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary from person to person.